US1

Saturday

Traveling up US1 in a VW van is on my bucket list...I read this in my book and it reminded me.


"In the 1950's, before the federal interstate highways cut the U.S. in six-lane precision, wonder, efficiency and freedom, their smaller and less efficient two-lane twin brothers politely meandered through and around small-town America--careful not to upset the balance of pecan trees, live oaks and fourth-generation chickken farms. Dotted with concrete-block, mom-and-pop motels, full-serve gas stations and all-u-can-eat buffets, U.S. 1--something like an east coast Route 66--was the lifeline of every traveling salesman and vacationing family from Maine to Miami. Between the free orange juice stands, junk stores, alligator farms and state-line souvenir stores brimming with stale Claxton fruit cakes and Mountain Dew, the route represented Americana in its heyday."

-Where the River Ends by Charles Martin

2 comments.:

Tracy Langgle said...

I feel like I can relate to this and remember when there was more of the above. I do like going on US I up to say New Smyrna or Daytona so much better than 95. You can see lots of more interesting things some better than others like Perines Ice Cream shop we ate at today. Best butter becan on the east coast!! You know the place wink wink :)

Kristen said...

mmm...I was just telling my family that we need to go there. :)